Tuesday, May 06, 2008

‘Beena takes decisions quickly’

M. Beena, the former collector of Thrissur, was recently appointed collector of Ernakulam. Her husband, P. Vijayan, the SP of Malappuram district, talks about his wife and their life together

By Shevlin Sebastian

When did you get married to Beena?
We got married on November 6, 2000.

How difficult is it to have a marriage where both of you have hectic careers and are physically apart most of the time?
It is not a difficult thing for Beena and me, but it is difficult for our children, Vishnupriya and Vignesh. But whenever we meet, the primary focus is our children and we try to enjoy each other’s company in a much deeper way. We have to schedule our meetings in advance, but we try to meet as often as possible.

Is it easy for the children?
Of course, they are not in the presence of the father or the mother all the time. Compared to many other children, those whose fathers are working in the Middle East or the Army, they are better off. When I was commissioner of police at Ernakulam, I would, sometimes, take the children to the office and they would play at one corner. I did this so that they could always be in the presence of the father.

What are the qualities that you admire in Beena?
I like her simplicity and she is a very good mother. As an administrator, she makes decisions quickly and ensures that it is implemented. She is also good at negotiations and has the ability to take the team along with her. Lastly, she is very sensitive to the problems faced by the downtrodden.

How difficult is this Ernakulam assignment, as compared to Thrissur? I don’t think it is going to be difficult at all. She has lots of experience. Generally, when somebody is posted at Ernakulam, it is a first-time experience. But Beena has already been a collector of Thrissur, and has handled various responsibilities in other districts. Whereever she has gone, she has done wonders.

Is there any advice you would give her?
We never give advice to each other. We discuss matters in a constructive way. And then we make suggestions to each other.

(Permission to reproduce this article has to be obtained from The New Indian Express, Kochi)

1 comment:

  1. Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me. Anyhow, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back often! Auto Lifestyle News

    ReplyDelete