Wednesday, May 26, 2021

A ‘bald’ anniversary



Today, May 26, it is one year since I went completely bald. 

A barber did the act in 10 minutes.  

I am happy with my decision. 

No more depressing thoughts as I looked in the mirror. Earlier, I would watch with dismay at my receding hairline and the growing bald patch at the crown of my head. Now, when I look at my reflection, I feel happy and proud. It gives off a lively look. 

But it is not easy to maintain this. 

A 10-minute shave of the head is required every morning. I use the Gillette Mach 3 shaving razor like a comb. Of course, I could use a Phillips trimmer but a razor is more hands-on. But I have to be careful. 

So far, I have had a nick only once. Most of the time, I concentrate when I am shaving my head: after all, it is the place where my brain is resting. But the best way I realised is to let the fingers do the work. No need to interfere. Because the body has its intelligence. Without our help, it runs our inner physical system. You don’t need to bother how digestion takes place or how the heart is pumping blood over the body and how it fights germs. 

All this is explained in the book, ‘The Power of Not Thinking: How Our Bodies Learn and Why We Should Trust Them’ by business anthropologist Simon Roberts. 

Former cricketer Sachin Tendulkar said something similar during an interview with TV personality Mark Nicholas. “It is important to play not with your conscious, but with your subconscious,” said Tendulkar. “And when you reach the peak of your concentration, you will not notice whether the bowler is coming at you from around the wicket or over the wicket. All you will see is the ball, and your subconscious mind will do the rest.” 

The only problem arises when the mind interferes with the body with its panicky thoughts and soon things descend into chaos. So I am sure the body is happy when we sleep. That’s when they can do their repair work with peace. 

Coming back to my baldness, people used to stare at me initially. But as more people go the bald route, everyone is getting used to it. Even women are doing it. My niece, Aneesha, within months of her marriage went bald, as a style statement. 

Nowadays, I have completely forgotten I am bald when I step out in public. I am so glad I don’t have to use a comb, oil, shampoo or go to the barber. And when it rains, you can feel it drum on your head. That’s a pleasant feeling. No fears about getting sick because your hair is wet. Mums would always tell us this in an admonishing tone during our childhoods.

After a run, I noticed my head also sweats a lot. So, apart from wiping my face with a handkerchief, I have to wipe my head as well. I have wondered whether there was so much perspiration when I had hair. I can’t remember. It is also a fact the climate has become hotter and more humid. 

I don’t have a full round head. There is a teeny bump if anyone looks upward from the forehead. But otherwise, it is round. Most people tell me they like what they see. But some did point out the bump. You can’t please all the people all the time. Thus said the 15th-century monk and poet John Lydgate. 

How right he was.   

For those of you who want to go down the same path, my suggestion is to find out whether your head is round. You can place a photo of yours in Photoshop and remove the hair. You will get an idea of how you look. If you like what you see, take the plunge.

There is nothing more powerful than to be bald and bold. 

You will become irresistible to women. 

Just joking!

No comments:

Post a Comment