Monday, April 16, 2018

Stepping Away From The Stereotype



Actor Unni Mukundan talks about his experiences of playing a woman in the Tamil film, 'Chanakya Thanthram'

By Shevlin Sebastian

As Karishma stepped towards an elevator of a building in Kochi, a man standing next to the entrance moved to one side to let her through. He was film art director Sahas.

At the second floor stop, Sahas waited for the woman to step out before he followed. This was noticed by his colleagues as Karishma entered a room. One of them said, “Hey man, didn't you recognise the woman?”

Sahas shook his head. Then one colleague laughed and said, “It's Unni Mukundan.”

Whaat?” said Sahas.

What indeed? Mollywood actor Unni's makeover as a woman was so complete that Sahas could not recognise her. He plays Karishma in the Tamil film, 'Chanakya Thanthram', directed by Kannan Thamarakulam.

When the director asked me whether I would play a cameo as a woman I was thrilled and surprised,” says Unni. “It gave me a chance to step out of the stereotype of playing muscular men in films like 'Masterpiece' and 'Mallu Singh'. I am also looking to play a wide variety of roles.”

But the process to get transformed into a woman was not easy. Make-up man Pradeep Rangan shaved off the hair on Unni's chest, arms and legs, as well as his moustache and stubble. “Wax was applied to my body, to get a sheen,” says Unni. “It was very hot. Since I have thick eyebrows, it has to be plucked off. That was very painful. I began to understand the discomfort a woman goes through to look beautiful.”

Thereafter, Unni wore a blouse and saree and put on a black hairpiece. Soon, he began to feel like a woman. “I was immediately reminded of my role in Mallu Singh where I played a Sardarji,” he says. “Once I put on the turban I felt like a Punjabi.”

However, on the sets, he had the strange experience of youngsters ogling him. One of them said, “Sir if you had not been a man, I would have pounced on you.” It was then that Unni understood the statement that he has always heard women tell him, “I didn't like the way he looked at me.”

Asked whether he did any research for the role, Unni says, “I have lived around woman all my life, from my mother to my cousins and relatives. I also believe there is a man in every woman and vice-versa. For example, like a woman, a man can also blush and feel shy.”

Apart from Karishma, Unni plays four characters, but they are all males. “It is a romantic thriller,” says Unni. The film will be released in April. 

(The Sunday Magazine, The New Indian Express, South India and Delhi)

1 comment: